The PhD Program in Mathematics of the Facultad de Ciencias Físicas y Matemáticas has been created in January 2008 and it counts with the participation of academics from both the Department of Mathematics and the Department of Mathematical Engineering. For a description of the Program see the webpage of Dirección de Postgrado.
Objectives of the Program:
Form high level autonomous researchers which can
- propose and develop scientific research recognized as an original contribution to one ore more areas of Mathematics
- communicate mathematical knowledge in academic context.
Duration: 4 years (see here for the plan of the courses)
Director: Michela Artebani
Secretary: Micaela Ávila
- Logic and Number Theory: Research in Number Theory is around problems about algebraic extensions of Q of infinite degree, diophantine geometry, modular arithmetic.
In Logic we investigate about decidability problems for classical structures with relation to Number Theory.
- Analysis: Research is about themes coming from Non-Archimedean Functional Analysis (strict topologies in function spaces, measures with values in field with non-arquimedean valuation, free Banach spaces), Stochastic Analysis, Calculus of variations and PDE’s (isoperymetric problems, optimization of shapes, Asymptotic Analysis, of PDEs, qualitative theory of linear and non-linear evolution equations with emphasis on dynamical properties as: blow-up, equilibrium, stability) and Dynamical Systems (study of period functions for plane centers).
- Geometry: Research is about themes coming in Algebraic Geometry: algebraic surfaces, linear systems, Cox rings, Calabi-Yau varieties.
Application: applications for the first semester 2023 (march 2023) are now open. The deadline is November 11th 2022 at 18:00 chilean time.
Application requirements: The candidate must have either an undegraduate or a Master degree in Mathematics or affine areas (Statistics, Physics,…), or an equivalent degree.
- Register online in the webpage of Dirección de Postgrado.
- Send the following documents via email to both the Director and the Secretary of the Program:
- Academic transcript (certificate with all the grades obtained during the latest studies).
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one of them from a Professor of the Program where the candidate obtained his last degree; the letters can also be sent directly from the recommendator).
- Motivation letter.
- Academic resume/CV.
- Take a written entrance examination (remote, 48 hsee here for previous versions of the examination).
- The accepted candidates will need to send via email the documents described here to the Secretary of the Program.
- The PhD Program in Mathematics of Universidad de Concepción is ACREDITADO by the chilean government. This allows all the students accepted in the Program to apply to ANID scholarship for «Beca de Doctorado nacional».
- Universidad de Concepción offers a limited numbers of internal scholarships for students which are not eligible or did not obtained ANID scholarship.